Not-For-Profit Governance Institute
The Not-For-Profit Governance Institute (NFPGI) is dedicated to promoting the highest standards of professionalism in the governance of not-for-profit organizations of all sizes. At the Not-For-Profit Governance Institute, we know that being a member of the Board of Directors of a not-for-profit organization is a challenging and important job - and we provide tools to help not-for-profit directors excel in the boardroom.
GOVERNANCE FUNDAMENTALS PROGRAM
Our Governance Fundamentals Program is characterized by candid discussions in an interactive forum with board members and executive directors who are leading not-for-profit organizations through major opportunities, challenges, and crises. The objective of our Governance Fundamentals Program is to acquaint participants with their governance options, their implementation, best practices, and their consequences.
Our unique "Governance Fundamentals Program" is specifically designed for those who already are, or are about to become, members of the Board of Directors of a not-for-profit organization. Participants will gain leading edge strategies, frameworks, and best practices for making crucial Board decisions in an ever-changing environment.
PLEASE NOTE: The webinar The Role of the Board is Strategy: That Every Board Director and Executive Director Needs to Know has been CANCELLED!
For more information with regards to the content, please contact Dr. Chris Bart at 1+905 308 8455 or email email@example.com
And if you require any further information on how to register contact Cristina at 416 494 1440 ext.258 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
0VERVIEW OF THE GOVERNANCE FUNDAMENTALS
The Principles of Good Governance
- Governance versus management: what the critical differences are between direction and management.
- How do Boards achieve effective functioning in relation to management/staff?
- How active should a Board be?
- What are the constraints to Board effectiveness?
- Improving group decision making.
- Excellent introduction.
- Very good opener for the 2 days. Set the stage for the overall objective.
- Excellent illustrative examples given & clear solutions offered for problems.
- Excellent content, high energy, engaging group.
Roles, Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Culture
- What are the roles, responsibilities and accountabilities of the Board Chair, Chairs of Board committees and Individual Board members?
- What are the essential characteristics of an appropriate Board culture?
- Legal duties and liabilities of the Board and Board members: The Basics
- Codes of Conduct & Best Practices
- How can Board members possibly be mindful of all of their duties and of the diligence they must exercise to discharge each of those duties effectively?
- Managing Relations between the Board and its Executive Director/CEO, Treasurer, Secretary etc.
- Thorough knowledge of subject
- Would love to have had 15 mins to sit with her and discuss my own sport.
- Very clear & systematic.
- Very useful info presentation.
Introduction to "basic" Financial Literacy
- Interpreting a NFP organization's Financial Statements: What do they mean?
- How do Board members measure the alignment of strategic objectives with financial results and overall success?
- What are the most effective financial ratios and how can Board members best lever this information?
- Outstanding presentation of potentially dull subject manner from a positively “edutaining” angle.
- Entertaining and I think I’m more knowledgeable.
- Straightforward, easy to understand.
- Very well presented given the topic. Made it worth listening to.
- Excellent presentation, good speaker.
- Excellent at debunking accounting myths – made non accounting types feel comfortable asking questions about finances.
Good Boards Need Good Directors
- What is the link between governance and organizational performance?
- Overseeing the Board itself: Recommending Board governance policies, guidelines and procedures for better Board effectiveness
- Recruiting, selecting, motivating and measuring the performance of directors
- Why it’s important to conduct "Board assessments" and what is the best approach
- Good follow-up on Board selection topic area.
- Good use of non profit examples.
- Practical and comprehensive. Picked up a lot – tools exceptional.
- A clear, concise presentation with practical applications.
- Excellent presentation.
Developing Strategic Thinking vs. Strategic Planning
- The strategic leadership cycle
- How can the Board (with Management) establish a clear sense of purpose, direction, strategy, priorities and decision-making criteria?
- Introduction to the “Balanced Scorecard”
- What steps must Board members take to fully understand the business model and unique competencies of their organization?
- Useful walk through of risk assessment example.
- Very beneficial.
- Very well described and applicable.
- Excellent, helpful information.
- Instructive on how to go about establishing, anticipating and dealing with potential risks.
- Very important topic as D & O insurance need will increase as the financial situation in US roles out.
- To the point.
- Amazing & informative discussion.
- Insightful and informative.
- Very good, detailed information, very useful.
- Informative, thought provoking presentation.
- Drove home the issue of being diligent with respect to insurance coverage.
- What is risk today?
- What is risk oversight?
- What is the Board’s Role in Risk management?
- What information do Board members need to ensure risks are identified and managed?
- Directors’ and Officers’ Insurance
- Irreverent & engaging.
- Wish this had been a full day on its own. Maybe a level A & level B course would be useful in future.
- Dynamic and effective.
- Passionate presentation and very thought provoking with respect to mission statement.
- Case study was helpful in conveying the potential usefulness of the balanced scorecard.
- This was a new area of discussion. Light bulb moment!
- Well laid-out/explained.
- Really engaged. First implementation!
PROUDLY SUPPORTED BY:
Chartered Professional Accountants Ontario
First Credit Union Ontario
"This not-for-profit governance training program will be very helpful to Credit Union Directors in attaining or improving their competencies in governance."
Andy Poprawa, CPA, CA, C. Dir.
Deposit Insurance Corporation of Ontario/ Société ontarienne d'assurance-dépôts